Jan. 29 - Crock Pot Bottom of the Round

Bad weigh in last Saturday - I deserved it though - can't eat chocolate every day, then expect to loose weight. That, plus eating pasta the night before weigh in - not smart at all. Course, didn't change much, came home and had pizza for dinner the next night. You wonder why I haven't learned yet. 2 years of Weight Watcher meetings - I KNOW what I'm doing wrong - yet I continue to do it. A friend suggested I try Core for awhile - I know I can do low carb - I lost about 50 lbs on Atkins years ago (before I ended up with emergency gallbladder surgery in Egypt LOL). I'll try and be REALLY good while I'm in Floriday (did I mention I'm leaving tomorrow with ALL 4 kids, BY MYSELF?). We'll have a blast - I'm taking them to the Nickeloden Hotel - course, they don't know that yet ;)

Anyway - since we won't be here this week - no weekly menu. For dinner tonight I'm doing a Bottom of the Round Roast so dh will have plenty of leftovers for a few days.

This pot roast is slow cooked with herbs, onions, red wine, tomato sauce, and herbs.
INGREDIENTS:
1 pot roast, about 3 pounds, chuck arm or shoulder, bottom round, or similar cut
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup apple cider or red wine
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, optional
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried crumbled leaf thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
PREPARATION:
Trim beef roast of excess fat and cut to fit crockpot, if necessary; place in the slow cooker (may use a cooking bag for this). Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
excess fat from gravy . Serve roast sliced with gravy, with potatoes or hot cooked rice or pasta.Serves 8.

Note: If you don't use the tapioca and want to thicken the juices, pour the broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce by about 1/4 then gradually add a smooth mixture of 2 tablespoons of flour and about the same amount of cold water. I stir the flour and water mixture in slowly until the mixture is thickened to my liking.

I ran this through Master Cook - it works out to be 5 pts (I used bottom round roast that I trimmed all fat off of). Serve it with some brown rice and a salad, great dinner on the run.

Have a great week - I'll be back on Sunday - the girls have a swim meet (if we don't fly back into 3 feet of snow) - so I probably won't be posting again until Monday !!!

Jerzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Rice Congee with Milk and Butter 3 points

Design Wall Monday

Design Floor Monday