Fayatar with Dee's Healthy Bread - Meat Pies

I am not a food photographer - I wish I were - because I could show how wonderfully these came out.  I used the same recipe as yesterday for the bread dough - but this time I cut the original recipe in 1/2 - for 36 instead of the original 72 servings the recipe calls for.  You'll find the dough recipe here

Dee's Health Bread 

While it was rising - I sauteed 3 onions with about 3 lbs of ground beef.  Also threw in some spices - sorry - I don't measure - but it was a good bit of cayenne pepper, salt and cinnamon.  (Hint, if you've never tried Vietnamese Cinnamon - I highly recommend it - I get my from Penzeys spices - excellent quality !) 



After the meat was browned, I threw in a couple cans of fire roasted tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste - then I just let it simmer until almost all the liquid was gone. 


TAfter the bread had risen - I separated it into about a dozen balls - then flattened each ball and stretched it into a circle - some circles were much bigger than others - but they all worked !  Filled each one with some of the meat mixture and some shredded mozzarella cheese -  I baked some with the seam up, and I baked some with the seam down.  While the seam down looks nicer, some of them leaked - so more of a clean up.  Since I don't like clean up - next time I make these, and believe me, there will be a next time - anyway, next time I'll just keep seams up.  AFter they were all stuffed I let them rise again for about an hour.  I'm not sure you'd have to wait that long - I just had to make a swim practice run - so it was an hour before I got them in the oven. 



Afterwards - in a 350* oven I baked them for 20 minutes - I only did 1 cookie sheet at a time - wanted to make sure they got nice and brown on the top and bottom.  They were wonderful.  The dough is much healthier than regular white bread that I used to use ...  and the kids still loved them - 2 thumbs up !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Rice Congee with Milk and Butter 3 points

Design Wall Monday

Design Floor Monday