Morrocan Lamb with Sweet Potatoes - Weight Watchers PointsPlus - 14

Now that I'm back to WW again, and since they've changed they way you figure points, I'm going to have to start making new recipes again.  Yesterday I found a 4 lb boneless roast of lamb on sale (it was actually 4.5 lbs, but I cut off at least 1/2 a pound of fat!)

Since I already had sweet potatoes and onions, I figured a stew would be good. 

I could have used my crockery from Egypt to make it more authentic - but since I wanted to brown the meat first, and I didn't exactly want to wash dishes all morning ... I did everything in my iron skillet !

The Ingredients

3 or 4 lbs of lamb (the points are for 4 pounds)
1 large onion
8 cloves of garlic
4 TBS of tomato paste
6 tsp olive oil
3 large sweet potatoes

and the spices

cumin
corriander
paprika
salt and pepper

Those were the amounts that I ran through WW to get the points, but I don't really measure anything when I'm cooking.  First I used the olive oil to brown the meat.  I had cut it into about 12-14 chunks, but you could make them smaller if you'd like, and brown in small batches so that everything gets a nice, even color, removing each batch as it's done to a bowl.  AFter the last batch is done, remove the meat, and add in the sliced onion and crushed garlic.  I used more garlic, and 2 small onions, because that's what I had.  AFter that sautes for 5 minutes or so, add the meat back in, and then your spices.  I used a small handful of cumin and corriander - probably at least a tablespoon, and about 1/2 a tablespoon of paprika.  I guess it all depends on how spicy you like it.  Add half your spices, stir it around a bit, then add the other half and stir well.  Add some water - I used 1 1/4 cup, and some tomato paste, again, I didn't measure, but I used maybe 3 heaping tablespoons.  Stir that all together, bring to a boil and cover and throw it in the oven.  My oven was already on (baking banana bread - recipe to follow) so I just left it at 350* for about 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes - take it out to add the potatoes.  This is what it looks like so far - it smells heavenly.  I've added the potatoes, cut into thick slices, stirred, covered and put back into the oven.  Should take maybe 40 minutes before the potatoes get soft and the meat is cooked.  I'll garnish with Cilantro, because that's what I have, although parsley would work as well.  I'll post a photo of the final product over brown rice later, as well as feedback from the all important family !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Rice Congee with Milk and Butter 3 points

Design Wall Monday

Design Floor Monday