Sweet and Spicy Shrimps

My family loves shrimp.  Usually I prepare it with scampi, or something equally unhealthy.  This time I tried something new, and it was a hit.  I will certainly make this over again, it was good enough to serve when we have guests.

I used 4 pounds of large shrimp, peeled and cleaned.  I buy the ones that are frozen and cleaned, but still have the tail on.  They are way cheaper than the ones that are totally cleaned, and it took me about 5 minutes to squeeze the tails off all 4 pounds once they were thawed.  I served this over plain white rice, it was a hit.

Take your 4 pounds of cleaned shrimp and marinate in about 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of corn starch.  I put mine in the lemon juice first and gave it a good mix so all the shrimps were in contact with lemon juice, then sprinkled the flour and cornstarch on top and mixed again.  I mixed a few more times while it sat for 15 minutes or so -- while I prepped all the rest of the ingredients.  The originally recipe called for 4 egg whites and salt, not sure why, perhaps because the original recipe was for chicken, not shrimp ?  I skipped both.

After I had all the other ingrediants ready, I pan fried the shrimp (you can do in batches if you don't have a super large pan.  Do not dump the leftover marinade into the pot !! Scoop out the shrimp and discard whatever is left in the bowl.  After the shrimp are nice and pink (Don't over cook!) take them out to a clean bowl, and fry up your onions, garlic and ginger.  I used 1 whole large onion chopped up (kids said I could have cut them smaller, but I was in a hurry), an entire head of garlic crushed, and maybe 2 TBSP of shredded garlic.   Just cook until softened, and then add in some spices.  The original recipe called for Chili powder, I'm not a big fan.  I use roasted red chili paste and sweet chili sauce   My local grocery store carries both.  Amazon has good prices, but only if you purchase 4-6 bottles at a time.   If you check them out though, check out the Spicy Thai Mango sauce .... my grocery store doesn't carry that one, but I love, love, love Mango, so I'll break down and order this one from Amazon, so stay tuned for a new recipe !!



Anyway, I used maybe 2-3 TBS of the paste, and a good 1/4 cup + of the chili sauce, stirred that around until all the onions were good and coated, add a splash of vinegar, let it cook for just a minute, then added tomato sauce (I used a 20 ounce can and a 8 ounce can, because that's what I had)  Then squeeze in some honey.  I used maybe 1/4 cup of honey, tasted it, added a bit more chili paste, and then a bit more honey.  Don't forget the salt.  Once you have it where you like it, add back in the shrimp just until they get reheated - don't cook them.  Serve over rice or noodles.

Next time I make it I'll edit this post and add photos.  The kids were starving - so no photos, and no leftovers :(    Recipe is below - the red ingredients are for the marinade.

Recipe    Serves 6-8

4 lbs shrimp
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup of corn starch
1-2 large onions chopped
1 head garlic
2 TBS of shredded fresh ginger
2 TBS Red Chili Paste
1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
Splash of vinegar
1/4 cup of Honey - Adjust to your liking
Salt if necessary
Oil for pan frying






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Rice Congee with Milk and Butter 3 points

Design Wall Monday

Design Floor Monday