Yellow Squash Sandwiches

Step by Step

1 yellow squash
4 slices of provolone cheese, or any other cheese
4 slices of deli turkey (or whatever you like)
2 eggs
salt
panko
canola oil or other veggie oil
flour -- seasoned however you like, I used
            pepper and onion powder, no salt, there
            will be enough salt when you sweat the
            squash and also after they are cooked.



1.  I peeled the squash, then slices it.  Figured it'd help the flour stick better.  Not sure if you have to peel it ... if you make this without peeling, let me know how it turned out.  Slices should be thick enough to not see through, but thin enough to cook - maybe 1/4" ?

2.  Salt both sides of the squash - and lay on paper towels or clean kitchen towels and let sit for about 30 minutes.  This draws a lot of the water out from the squash and it'll help it not splatter so much when cooking.

3.  Take another clean towel and dry off the tops of the squash.  Prepare 3 deep dishes/plates ... 1 with the seasoned flour, one with the 2 eggs which have been beaten with some water, maybe 1/4 cup for 2 eggs giver or take, and one with the panko.

4.  Heat your oil ... I used my trusty cast iron pot, you want something with sides high enough so you don't get spattered.  I filled mine about 1/2" deep, but I was doing more than one squash worth.  I heated mine on medium, and it was the perfect heat.

5.  Once your oil is heated (about 5 minutes) take two squash slices that are about the same size, and make a sandwich.  On each sandwich I put 1/2 slice of cheese and 1/2 slice of turkey.  I also added some shredded mexican mixed cheese because I had it in my fridge and I wanted to see if it would stay inside (it did)  Cover your sandwich with the second squash slice, dredge in the seasoned flour, make sure to not only get the top and bottom, but also roll once to get all the way around the outside.
After flour, dip in egg wash, both sides, and then into the panko, where I used a clean fork to cover the squash sandwich with panko and pressed in firmly.

6.  Carefully lower into the hot oil, it should begin to bubble but not so hot it splatters.  If it starts to splatter it's too hot, if it doesn't immediately start to bubble, it's too cold.  Let cook while you make a 2nd and 3rd sandwich.  I had time to get the 4th sandwich in before I had to flip the first one.  I thought that it would fall apart, but again, I used salad tongs to flip and they stayed together perfectly.  I flipped mine a few times because I wanted an even brownness and I wanted to make sure all the cheese was melted.

7.  After cook, drain on a papertowel and sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt.  Make sure to let cool a couple minutes - the insides will be HOT HOT HOT !  Enjoy :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Rice Congee with Milk and Butter 3 points

Design Wall Monday

Design Floor Monday